However, if this is an immediate medical emergency, please call 9-1-1.
If you have the time or resources to help others during this crisis, click here.
Ensuring fast and fair access to a vaccine is critical to ending the pandemic. As Chairman of the Ways and Means Health Subcommittee, I am working to ensure we improve the disastrous rollout of the vaccine.
Garantizar un acceso rápido y justo a una vacuna es fundamental para poner fin a la pandemia. Como Presidente del Subcomité de Salud Ways and Means, estoy trabajando para asegurar que mejoremos el desastroso despliegue de la vacuna.
San Antonio: For more information, click here.
- Register for Metro Health’s Alamodome: https://covid19.sanantonio.gov/Services/Vaccination-for-COVID-19 or call 311 or 210-207-6000 selection option 8
- Register for WellMed clinics at Elvira Cisneros Senior Community Center and Alicia Treviño López Senior Community Center: call 833-968-1745
- Register for University Health’s clinic at Wonderland of the Americas: https://www.universityhealthsystem.com/coronavirus-covid19/vaccine
- Register for CVS Health starting February 11: http://cvs.com/
- Register for Walmart located at 5555 De Zavala Road starting February 12: https://www.walmart.com/cp/1228302
- Register for HEB: https://vaccine.heb.com/
Austin and Travis County:
- Register for the vaccine with Austin Public Health: https://covid19.austintexas.gov/s/?language=en_US or call 512-972-5560. If the line is busy, call 311.
- Austin Public Health vaccine information: http://austintexas.gov/aph-vaccine-reg
- Austin Public Health vaccineFAQs: http://austintexas.gov/vaccine-faqs
- Register for the vaccine with UT Health—Dell Medical School: https://uthealthaustin.org/patient-resources/covid-19-updates/covid-19-vaccinationor call 833-UT-CARES.
- Pre-register for the vaccine with Hays County: https://www.haysinformed.com/covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0GrdfoOVRt15I-QnRzKLbNtaexFwpb3iVQFRwAZJxtrc_Dq9fMkE07Hjk.
- Find additional information at: https://hayscountytx.com/covid-19-information-for-hays-county-residents/
Caldwell County: Pre-register the vaccine with Caldwell County: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4ca4ab2ca4f8c43-caldwell1
Veterans can contact their local VA clinic for details.
- Austin: Vaccine appointments for the Austin VA Outpatient Clinic are currently for those 75 years and older. To schedule an appointment, call 1-800-423-2111 and select Option 2
- San Antonio: South Texas Veterans Health Care System enrolled Veterans 65 years and older can schedule an appointment by calling 877-537-7348 (experiencing high call volumes if unable to get through visit Balcones Heights Clinic at 4522 Fredricksburg Road Suites A-10 and A-88 San Antonio, TX 78201). Enroll in STVHCS here: https://www.va.gov/health-care/apply/application/introduction or call 877-222-8387.
CVS Pharmacy has begun distributing the vaccine in Central Texas. The vaccine is free and is available to all who are eligible. To schedule an appointment with CVS, visit: https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine
The CDC has authorized eligible pharmacies to administer the vaccine in Texas. To determine whether your local pharmacy is a Federal Pharmacy Partner, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/retail-pharmacy-program/participating-pharmacies.html
The Texas Department of State Health Services has given the following eligibility requirements for Texas residents in the 1A and 1B groups:
Phase 1A: Front-line healthcare workers and residents at long-term care facilities
Phase 1B: People 65+ or people 16+ with a health condition that increases risk of severe COVID‑19 illness, including but not limited to:
· Chronic kidney disease
· COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
· Down Syndrome
· Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
· Organ transplantation
· Sickle cell disease
· Type 2 diabetes
For medical ailments not listed above, please consult with your primary care physician to determine eligibility.
Additional COVID-19 vaccine guidelines are provided by DSHS here.
For a map of vaccine distribution venues click here.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
For current information on coronavirus tax relief, please visit the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) website.
Also, additional guidance on the IRS filing extension.
Use IRS Non-Filers tool to get Economic Impact Payment; many low-income, homeless qualify.
Use la herramienta Non-Filers del IRS para obtener el estado de su pago de impacto económico; muchas personas de bajos ingresos y sin hogar fijo pueden calificar.
Travel Advisory Information
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
U.S. Small Business Adminstration (SBA)
For current information about government assistance programs for small businesses affected by the coronavirus, visit the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) website.
Click here to apply for SBA Disaster assistance.
CARES Act Guidance
Guide to all three coronavirus relief packages in English.
Guía acerca de los paquetes de asistencia económica para el coronavirus en español.
Frequently asked questions about the CARES Act rebate can be found here on the IRS website.
We have heard from many about a number of problems with receiving the stimulus checks, also known as Economic Impact Payments, included in the CARES Act. With the new Congress and Administration, we are working to pass new relief. Some of the most common issues include:
- Status of a stimulus check that has not yet been received
- Inability to use the Get My Payment portal on the IRS website to find out more information about the status of a payment
- How dependents are calculated and what additional information may be needed to get a payment for a qualifying child
- Taxpayers who owed the last time they filed taxes who have not received their payment via direct deposit
The best way to get current information and answers to a number of frequently asked questions, is to visit the Economic Impact Payment Information Center on the IRS website by clicking here. Please continue to reach out to our office and share any issues you are having so we may be of assistance.
If you qualify for but have not yet received your stimulus payment, you may receive it in the form of a pre-paid debit card. For more information from the Treasury website click here and for FAQs from the IRS, click here (scroll down to Q45).
Si usted califica para un pago de impacto económico pero aún no lo ha recibido, es posible que lo reciba en forma de una tarjeta de débito prepagada. Para más información en español, puede visitar aquí y aquí.
For the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), click here for the list of documents required to apply.
New York Times article explaining coronavirus relief for the self-employed.
If you are feeling anxiety around the coronavirus, you can call the federal government’s Disaster Distress Helpline: 1 (800) 985-5990, or text TalkWithUs to 66746.
For current information from the State of Texas, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) website.
Current information for parents and child care providers impacted by the coronavirus can be found on the Texas Association for the Education of Young Children (TXAEYC) website.
For information for students, families, educators, school leaders, school districts, and school boards, visit the Texas Education Agency website.
Texas Health and Human Services has a 24/7 COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line at (833) 986-1919.
For current information about the coronavirus and testing, visit the San Antonio Metro Health website.
The San Antonio Metropolitan Health District has opened a COVID-19 hotline for residents to ask questions about the virus. The hotline is available in English and Spanish. Residents can call (210) 207-5779. (Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Saturday – Sunday 8 a.m. – noon)
El Distrito de Salud Metropolitano de San Antonio ha creado una línea directa para que residentes puedan hacer preguntas sobre el coronavirus. La línea directa está disponible en inglés y también responde preguntas en español. Residentes pueden llamar al (210) 207-5779 (lunes a viernes 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., sabado a domingo 8 a.m. – hasta el mediodía)
The San Antonio Food Bank has expanded their response due to the coronavirus. Visit their website to find current information for getting help.
The City of San Antonio is accepting applications for emergency rent and mortgage assistance for individuals or families who live within the San Antonio city limits. San Antonio residents experiencing an emergency and hardship, please submit your request for assistance: An online request does not guarantee financial assistance will be provided. Please do not submit more than one request for assistance. They will respond to you via email so be sure to check your email accounts often.
NOTICE: The online application will ask you to upload digital copies of required documents. Click here for a list of documents required for assistance.
ASISTENCIA DE RENTA Y HIPOTECA
La ciudad de san antonio está aceptando referencias para asistencia de renta y hipoteca para individuos y familias que viven dentro de los límites de la Ciudad de San Antonio. Residentes enfrentando una emergencia o dificultades, por favor de enviar su solicitud de asistencia. Su solicitud por internet no garantiza asistencia. No envíe más de una solicitud de asistencia. Le responderemos por correo electrónico. Asegúrese de revisar su cuenta de correo electrónico con frecuencia.
La aplicación en línea le pedirá que cargue copias digitales de los documentos requeridos. Haga clic aquí para obtener una lista de los documentos necesarios para recibir asistencia.
For current information about the coronavirus, including current testing sites visit the Austin Public Health website. The website includes information on testing as well as educational print materials in multiple languages. Additional community resources can be found on the City of Austin's website.
Para información sobre COVID-19 haga clic aquí.
The Central Texas Food Bank has expanded their response to the coronavirus. Visit their website to find current information for getting help.
For information about health care services during COVID-19, visit Integral Care's website, and for those who are experiencing a mental health crisis, contact their 24/7 helpline at (512) 472-4357.
The Austin Regional Clinic has a hotline that provides advice on self-care and treatment recommendations. The clinic gives the option of scheduling an appointment, if needed, to speak with a nurse for questions.
The City of Austin created a one-stop site with resources to help individuals, businesses, and nonprofits affected by the pandemic. Visit ATX Recovers to see more.
Comal County Office of Public Health has a dedicated COVID-19 hotline for anyone to ask questions at (830) 221-1120. (Monday-Friday 8 a.m – 5 p.m.)
Hays County Local Health Department & City of San Marcos, established a COVID-19 call center hotline number to respond to non-emergency questions at (512) 393-5525. (Monday-Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.) The after-hours hotline is (512) 665-7542.
Travis County has a hotline for questions about COVID-19 that can’t be answered by what is online. Please feel free to call 3-1-1 if you are inside the Austin city limits or (512) 974-2000 if you are outside of the Austin city limits.
If you do not have insurance or a doctor, but you have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), you can call the COVID-19 Hotline at (512) 978-8775 for guidance. This number is for all Travis County residents with COVID-19 symptoms who don’t have insurance or an established provider.
Lineas directas para COVID-19
Si tienes preguntas específicas sobre el coronavirus, puedes llamar a estos números dependiendo de tu condado:
- Condado de Travis: si vives dentro de los límites de Austin, llama a 3-1-1. Si vives afuera de los límites de Austin, llama al (512) 974-2000
- Condado de Hays: (512) 393-5525 (lunes-viernes 8a-5p)
- Condado de Bexar: (210) 207-5779 (lunes-viernes 8a-5p, sabado a domingo 8 a.m. – hasta el mediodía)
- Condado de Comal: (830) 221-1220 (lunes-viernes 8a-5p)
If you have lost your job and your health coverage, you may already qualify to obtain ACA coverage. Schedule a free counseling session to discuss options with:
EnrollSA at EnrollSA.com or (210) 977-7997.
Call Central Health's Eligibility Hotline at (512) 978-8130 for information on the Medical Assistance Program (MAP) or MAP-Basic for those with no health insurance and/or change in healthcare coverage status.
Click here to learn whether you qualify for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
Haga clic aquí para saber si califica para medicaid o el programa de seguro de salud para niños (CHIP).
Resources for Seniors
AGE of Central Texas Resources has a library of at-home activities, videos, virtual tours and webcams for seniors who are staying at home. Additionally, they have resources to help family caregivers during this trying time.
- The Alzheimer’s Association has a 24/7 helpline at (800) 272-3900 and a coronavirus Tip Sheet linked here.
- Domestic Violence, which has been on the upswing since the advent of Shelter in Place, is forcing many victims to remain with their abusers at home. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, The National Domestic Violence Hotline (NDVH) is available 24/7 at 1 (800) 799-SAFE (7233).
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness, Central Texas (@NAMICentralTX) has programs and resources for those seeking support for mental health, including a free mental health education series. Learn more here.
- Workforce Solutions Capital Area offers assistance with job searches, unemployment insurance, and business assistance. Residents in Hays and Caldwell Counties can find similar assistance with Workforce Solutions Rural Capital Area.
My Guest Editorials
You can read my guest editorials on this public health crisis, by clicking on the text below:
My District offices in San Antonio and Austin will be adopting a shelter in place policy. My staff and I are still working to serve you, remotely. Should you need assistance, you can contact my San Antonio office at (210) 704-1080, my Austin office at (512) 916-5923, or send me an email.